Monday 15 September 2014

Exercise Presciption

I've been asked to speak at a course on the topic of exercise and mental health. I can't believe I haven't touched on this yet - it's so important!
I'll admit that I started working out for vanity. But what I learned was that as much as exercise is good for your body, it's also good for the soul. 
Of course, there's the endorphin rush. But there's also the focus that brings you into the present, new neural pathways forming with new movements, and the general awareness that you're taking control and actively trying to improve. 
Exercise is as effective as medicine, or more so, in treating depression in many cases. And it's natural and free.
Sometimes when you feel bad it can be hard to even move, but if you force yourself, you'll be glad you did. And if you're already perfectly happy, a workout still won't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment